Chicago, IL, October 6, 2021—Last week, NielsenIQ BASES announced the 2021 Global Pack Design Impact Award winners, celebrating the real and measurable business impact of outstanding package design for the sixth consecutive year. The design experts at NielsenIQ BASES believe great package design rarely gets the recognition it deserves and created the Global Pack Design Impact Award to demonstrate the tremendous impact that effective package design can have, and to celebrate brands that are elevating the role of packaging in the marketing mix around the globe. The global award recognizes successful package redesigns — ones that have helped to drive significant increases in brands’ bottom lines.
“Pack design restages can create significant upsides in market when they are optimized across the full shopper journey,” says Andrea Fraboni, Vice President & Global leader of BASES Design Solutions. “Our 2021 Design Impact Award winners are wonderful examples of what can be achieved when a shopper-centric approach is taken to pack design.”
NielsenIQ BASES reviewed in-market performance of all submissions using NielsenIQ’s Retail Measurement Sales data, identifying brands that saw a demonstrable increase in retail dollar sales and units during the period that followed the redesign launch. Complementing sales data, NielsenIQ also conducted a survey of thousands of shoppers to assess how well each submitted redesign addressed the entrants’ core communication objective and whether shoppers were more likely to purchase the new package versus the old one. Based on the results of this full analysis, thirteen winning designs emerged and were recognized for their success working across the full shopper journey, showcasing the very real and measurable business value of outstanding package design. These winners represent a diverse range of business situations across food, personal care, pet care, and home care.
The winners of the 2021 NielsenIQ BASES Global Pack Design Impact Award*:
- Sun-Pat Peanut Butter (Parent Company: Hain Daniels Group; Design Agency: Ocean Branding; Country: United Kingdom)
- French’s Mustard (Parent Company: McCormick; Design Agency: Bridgemark; Country: United States)
- Clorox Disinfecting Wipes (Parent Company: The Clorox Company; Design Agency: CBX; Country: United States)
- Colgate Optic White Toothpaste (Parent Company: Colgate-Palmolive; Design Agency: Beardwood & Co.; Country: United States)
- Berkley Jensen Dog Food (Parent Company: Berkley Jensen; Design Agency: Marketing By Design; Country: United States)
- Ricolino (Parent Company: Bimbo; Design Agency: Foic Lecanda Country: Mexico)
- Lux Hair Series (Parent Company: Unilever; Design Agency: JDO London; Country: China)
- Hot Pot Dip, Grace Sun Over Grassland (Parent Company: Grace Sun Over Grassland; Design Agency: Xianxing Brand; Country: China)
- Marltons Dog Treats (Parent Company: Marltons; Design Agency: Just Design; Country: South Africa)
- Dawn Body Lotions & Creams (Parent Company: Unilever; Design Agency: Disturbance – The Hardy Boys; Country: South Africa)
- Kellogg’s Muesli (Parent Company: Kellogg India Pvt. Ltd.; Design Agency: Oddinary; Country: India)
- Nycil Prickly Heat Powder (Parent Company: Zydus Wellness; Design Agency: PI Global; Country: India)
- PediaSure (Parent Company: Abbott Nutrition International, Abbott Healthcare Pvt. Ltd; Design Agency: Zlata Creative; Country: India)
Learn more about our package design research solutions, the Global NielsenIQ BASES Pack Design Impact Awards, and discuss learnings from this year’s winners by reaching out to the BASES team at BASES@nielseniq.com .
*All products and company names are trademarks of their respective holders. No affiliation or endorsement is expressed or implied.
NielsenIQ is the leader in providing the most complete, unbiased view of consumer behavior, globally. Powered by a groundbreaking consumer data platform and fueled by rich analytic capabilities, NielsenIQ enables bold, confident decision-making for the world’s leading consumer goods companies and retailers.
Using comprehensive data sets and measuring all transactions equally, NielsenIQ gives clients a forward-looking view into consumer behavior in order to optimize performance across all retail platforms. Our open philosophy on data integration enables the most influential consumer data sets on the planet. NielsenIQ delivers the complete truth.
NielsenIQ, an Advent International portfolio company, has operations in nearly 100 markets, covering more than 90% of the world’s population. For more information, visit NielsenIQ.com.