The NielsenIQ group of companies (together, “NielsenIQ,” “we,” or “us”) cares about your privacy and is committed to handling your data in an open and transparent manner. This Privacy Notice applies to how we will use, share, and protect the data that we collect or otherwise obtain about you when you use the NielsenIQ ReceiptRocket (the “App”) and to the processing of your data in connection with your participation in the NielsenIQ ReceiptRocket Panel (the “Panel”). This Privacy Notice also describes your choices and legal rights in relation to such data. To learn more about the NielsenIQ group of companies, one or more of which may process your data, please click here.
Use of the App is voluntary. By downloading and installing the App on your mobile device, you agree that we can collect, use, disclose, and retain your data as described in this Privacy Notice. If you have any questions about this Privacy Notice or your data, please refer to the “Contact us” section below for our contact information.
Collection of your data
We may collect or otherwise obtain data relating to you, the mobile device that you use to access the App, and your use of the App in a variety of ways. The data that we collect or obtain may include personal data – data that alone or in combination with other data identifies or is capable of identifying you as an individual, such as your name, date of birth, mailing address, email address, mobile phone number, and other data that can be reasonably linked to you as an individual. Additional details about the data we may collect or otherwise obtain and the manner in which it is collected or obtained can be found below.
Data collected from you
As part of the Panel recruitment and registration process, we request data relating to you (and other members of your household), including your first and last name, home address, telephone number, email address, date of birth, and relevant demographic data such as gender, household size, household income group, number of children. We use this data in connection with recruitment screening and to create your user profile for the App and provide you with your login credentials. If you are not selected as a panelist, we will retain your data for one year in order that we may contact you in the future to be a panelist. You authorize us to maintain your data and to contact you regarding participation as a panelist during this retention period. At the completion of this retention period, if you are not selected as a panelist, we will promptly delete your data.
If you become a panelist, we will use the data relating to you collected during the recruitment and registration process as outlined in this Privacy Notice. When you use the App, we collect additional data about you and your household as detailed in this Privacy Notice that you provide to us, enable us to collect, or voluntarily post or upload, including your household’s purchase information; your responses to surveys that help us better understand your views, preferences (e.g., your favorite breakfast cereal brand), and/or purchasing habits (e.g., when, where, and/or how frequently you shop for groceries); and other information that you choose to share with us (e.g., periods of time when you and other members of your household will be away from home on holiday, business travel, etc.).
In some jurisdictions, certain data that you voluntarily share or disclose to us (e.g., in response to a survey question) may be considered “special” or “sensitive” personal data (e.g., data relating to your racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or other similar beliefs, or health or medical conditions). If we receive any “special” or “sensitive” personal data relating to you, we will, where necessary, obtain your explicit consent to use such data, and we will use it only in the ways described in this Privacy Notice or at the point where you choose to share or disclose this data as well as in accordance with applicable law.
Camera: The features on our App require access to the camera of your mobile device to scan UPC codes and take photos of products. You will be asked for permission before we access your device’s camera, and you understand that we will use your camera for this purpose. We will not access any of your photos without your specific permission.
Data collected in connection with your use of the App
Device data: We may collect standard technical data from and about the device that you use to access the App, including your unique device identifier, device manufacturer and model, operating system and version, and Media Access Control (MAC) address. We use this data for the purpose of determining and/or improving compatibility between your mobile device and the App as well as system administration.
Log and usage data: In order to help us improve our service, when you download and use the App, we automatically record and store certain data, such as your device’s Internet Protocol (IP) address, browser type and version, and browser language as well as the pages that you visit, the dates and timestamps associated with your visits and certain transactions, and the information and files that have been downloaded to the App.
We also use Google Analytics, web analytics services that
may set cookies. To learn more about Google Analytics’ data practices, please visit https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6004245?hl=en. For opt-out options specific to Google Analytics, please visit https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout
Location-based data: If you give us permission, when you use the App we may receive data about the geolocation (imprecise, latitude and longitude) of your mobile device through various means depending on the device you are using, including Global Positioning System (“GPS”), Google Place API, or Wi-Fi signals/connections. We collect this data to validate panelists’ location. The collection of your mobile device’s geolocation will occur only when you are actively using the App. We will not share your mobile device’s geolocation data with any third parties You may choose to stop our collection of your mobile device’s geolocation at any time through your device’s system settings or by removing the App from your device.
Information you authorize us to collect
When you register for our service, we may ask you to provide us with access to your email account(s) and certain online retailer account(s) to enable us to collect transactional information such as purchase receipts, sales receipts, delivery confirmations and returns, subscription confirmations and cancellations, registration confirmations, transaction summaries, subscriptions, commercial transactions, registration confirmations, and the promotions that you receive by email from such accounts. If the App functionality in your country of residence includes automatic collection of transactional information, and the App requires you to opt into automated email and/or other online account collection in order to participate in the App and related services, your agreement to opt in and provide the required email and/or other online account credentials, as required by the App, is mandatory in order for you to use and continue to use the services and participate in the App rewards program. Information collected also includes transaction related data concerning your online purchases such as information about the item(s) concerned, price paid for the item, payment type, delivery address, billing address if different, order number, and your order history. You authorize and consent to this access by agreeing to this Privacy Notice. Your participation with App services is always voluntary and you may withdraw from App services as outlined below, but your participation in data extraction from your email and/or other retail account(s) might be required to participate in App services.
If you unsubscribe from the Panel, we will cease data extraction from your email and retailer account(s) within 24 hours.
Be aware that deletion of the App will not result in immediate cessation of data extraction from your email and retailer account(s). If you delete the App, you will be removed from the Panel after three (3) weeks. Once you are removed from the Panel, we will cease data extraction from your email and retailer account(s) within 24 hours. Changes to your email or retailer account(s) user name or password will result in immediate cessation of data extraction from your respective email and retailer account(s).
Please be aware that your participation in data extraction from your email and/or other retail account(s) might be required to participate in some App services.
Categories of Personal Data Collected
The table below summarizes the categories of personal data that we may collect or obtain from or about you together with the source(s) of the information. Note that the categories and sources in the table represent the categories and sources of personal information that we have collected within the last twelve (12) months.
|Identifiers||First and last name, alias, home postal address, mobile phone number, date of birth, online identifiers (such as a cookie ID or mobile device ID), internet protocol (or IP) address, email address, account name to login to our Website|
As a quality control measure and to maintain the integrity of our digital research, we use a digital fingerprinting technology, also known as “machine identification” technology, to gather certain information about the device you use to participate in our research. This information is sent to a trusted third-party service provider that converts it into a unique serial number for your computer – the digital fingerprint – through the use of a proprietary algorithm and determines if it matches any previous digital fingerprint.
|Directly from you (or another member of your household)|
Indirectly from you, such as when you use and/or interact with our Website and/or our App
|Identifiers Demographic Information (including Protected Classification information)||Information about your unique demographic profile, including your age, state of residence, marital status or sex (such as gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy or childbirth and related medical conditions). Please note, these categories of information are dependent on the type of research in which you are invited to participate.||Directly from you|
|Commercial Information||Records or information about products or services that you have purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies. This includes “behavior information,” such as when, why, or how you do things, such as how frequently you shop for groceries or use your computer, TV, or the Internet. It also includes “preference information,” which refers to the choices you make, such as which breakfast cereals you buy, which stations you listen to or watch, or the websites that you visit.||Directly from you|
|Internet or Other Similar Network Activity Information||When you use and/or interact with our Website and/or our App, we collect certain information, including: (i) standard technical information from and about your device (e.g., your device ID, device manufacturer and model, operating system, and version, IP address); and (ii) log and usage information (e.g., our webpages that you visit, the dates and timestamps associated with your visits and certain transactions.|
For more information, please see the “Cookies and Similar Technologies” section below.
|Indirectly from you (i.e., passively when you visit and/or interact with our Website and/or our App|
|Sensory Information||This refers to audio, electronic, visual, or similar information. This information is dependent on which survey in which you are asked to participate. Not all surveys will require this information.||Directly from you (video and sound recordings)|
|Professional/Employment Information||This refers to information, such as your job title, industry, and income range.||Directly from you|
|Extracted Information||Data collected via access to your email account(s) and retail account(s), including subscriptions, commercial transactions, registration confirmations, and the promotions that you receive by email.||Directly from you Passively when you authorize us to collect these types of information|
|Other Personal Information||This refers to any physical characteristics or descriptions, such as your height and weight. This is dependent on the survey in which you are asked to participate.|
This also refers to any information that you provide to us, enable us to collect, or voluntarily post or upload to our Website or our App (e.g., comments and requests).
|Directly from you (video and sound recordings, photographs)|
Use of your data
The main reason we use your data is in connection with your participation in the Panel and for the purpose(s) for which it was collected or provided to us (as stated above in the “Collection of your data” section or at the point of collection) or as otherwise obvious from the context of collection.
We may also use your data to:
· operate and manage the App and customize or personalize your user experience and the content that we deliver to you when you use the App;
· operate and manage our IT and security systems, including to monitor such systems and identify and respond to security events;
· communicate with you about the App, respond to your inquires and requests, and/or update/validate the data that we hold about you;
·offer you opportunities to participate in our studies, panels, or surveys;
·offer you, at our discretion, certain incentives (e.g. rewards programs) based on your participation;
· contact you with information about our business, services, and events as well as other information that may be of interest to you (subject always to obtaining your prior opt-in consent to the extent required under applicable law);
· conduct research for quality assurance and product, service, and development purposes;
· facilitate our day-to-day operations and financial management as well as any corporate transactions (e.g., a reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer, etc.);
· prevent, investigate, take action regarding, or provide notice of fraud; unlawful/criminal activity and other misconduct; security/technical issues; or unauthorized access to/use of data, the App, or our data systems;
· protect the rights, property, operations, health, or safety of you, us, or others;
· enforce our agreements; comply with applicable laws and regulations; and establish, exercise, and/or defend our legal rights; and
· respond to subpoenas, court orders, or other legal process/requests and communications from law enforcement authorities or other government officials.
We will never use your personal data to advertise, promote, or market third-party goods or services directly to you. Additionally, we will not license, publish, or sell any personal data collected from or about you.
Extracted Data: We access information from your transaction-related email account(s) and retail account(s) to develop and prepare measurement products and datasets with the assistance of, and in combination with, data that is available to: our parent company, our affiliate companies, and other trusted business partners. We undertake a process intended to obscure or replace directly identifiable information with a unique identifier. We may further combine or aggregate this extracted information with other information available to us or our trusted business partners. Once the information is processed, we may use this extracted information as part of our e-commerce measurement products and datasets for our customers and other third parties.
The measurement products and datasets that we prepare is for purposes such as:
• understanding industry and business trends;
• improving the goods, services or offers provided to customers;
• improving business operations;
• understanding the competitive landscape;
• understanding where to make investments; or
• gaining other business insights.
Legal basis for processing your personal data
Applicable law in your country of residence may require us to set out in this Privacy Notice the legal basis upon which we rely in order to process your personal data. We will process your personal data for the purposes outlined in this Privacy Notice based on one of more of the legal bases listed below.
· Consent: From time to time, we may ask for your consent to process your personal data for certain specific purposes. We will only rely on this legal basis in relation to processing that is entirely voluntary (i.e., not necessary or obligatory). We rely on consent as a legal basis to process your personal data in connection with processing extracted personal data in connection with our development of measurement products and datasets, and you hereby expressly consent to such use.
· Legitimate interests: We rely on our legitimate interests, provided that such interests shall not be overridden by your interests, fundamental rights, or freedoms. In particular, among other things, we may process your personal data in reliance on a legitimate interest in: (i) effectively and lawfully operating the App as well as the operation of our business and day-to-day affairs; (ii) communicating relevant information to you; (iii) conducting research and producing analyses; (iv) effectively delivering, developing, and improving our products and services; (v) managing, maintaining, and operating our IT and security systems; (vi) adequately protecting, defending, and safeguarding our networks; (vii) evaluating business and other corporate transactions; (viii) managing and enhancing protection against fraud, spam, harassment, intellectual property infringement, and risks to which we are exposed (e.g., crime and security risks); (ix) complying with laws and regulations to which we are subject, including, where applicable, laws and regulations of countries other than your country of residence; and (x) meeting our obligations and enforcing our legal rights.
· Compliance with legal obligations: We may process your personal data if necessary for us to comply with a legal obligation arising under applicable law to which we are subject.
If you have any questions or concerns about the legal basis upon which we collect and use your personal data, please email us at email@example.com.
Disclosures and transfers of your data
In connection with one or more of the purposes outlined above in the “Use of your data” section, your data may be disclosed to:
· different entities within the NielsenIQ group of companies, and combined with data from other NielsenIQ panels to understand which panelists participate in multiple panels, as well as disclosed and transferred to:
· third-party service providers, including providers of the following services (among others): application hosting, management, or support; incentives/rewards programs; data analysis or processing; data backup; data security and storage; and product development (subject to binding contractual obligations of confidentiality and security);
· relevant third parties as part of a corporate transaction, such as a reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer, or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets, or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceeding);
· competent governmental and public authorities, in each case to comply with legal or regulatory obligations or requests or for the purposes of reporting any actual or suspected breach of applicable law; and
· other third parties as we believe necessary (e.g., in order to protect the rights, property, operations, health, or safety of you, us, or others) or appropriate for legal purposes (e.g., in connection with claims, disputes, or litigation or in order to enforce our legal rights).
The disclosures described above may result in the transfer of your personal data to countries or regions with data protection or privacy laws and regulations that differ from those in your country of residence, and in some instances provide a lesser level of data privacy protection. By providing us with your personal data and/or using the App, you are acknowledging that your personal data may be transferred to countries or regions outside of your country of residence. In cases where your personal data is transferred outside of your country of residence, we will ensure that there are adequate safeguards in place to protect your personal data.
Additional information for UK/EU/EEA residents
If you are based in the UK/EU/EEA and your personal data will be transferred to a country that has not been recognized by the European Commission as providing an adequate level of data protection, the safeguards put in place might include a data transfer agreement with the data recipient based on standard contractual clauses approved by the European Commission for transfers of personal data to countries not providing an adequate level of data protection. Alternatively, in certain circumstances, your personal data may be transferred on the basis of an applicable derogation or exemption. For further details relating to the transfers described above and the adequate safeguards used with respect to such transfers, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We understand the importance of protecting the privacy of minors, especially in the online and mobile environment. We will collect and use data about minors under the age of 18 (or the relevant age as determined by applicable law in your country of residence) only with the consent of their parent or legal guardian, and such consent may be withdrawn at any time. All data about both adults and minors of every age will be handled in accordance with this Privacy Notice.
We have in place reasonable organizational, technical, and administrative measures designed to protect your data from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction while it is under our control. However, please be aware that the storage and transfer of data cannot always be one-hundred percent secure.
We will retain your data in a form that permits identification only for as long as necessary for the fulfillment of the purposes set out in this Privacy Notice, unless a longer retention period is required under applicable law or is necessary in order to resolve disputes, protect our legal rights, or otherwise comply with our legal or professional obligations. To determine the appropriate retention period for data, we consider the amount, nature and sensitivity of the personal data. We also consider the potential risk of harm from unauthorised use or disclosure of your personal data, the purposes for which we process your personal data and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means and by looking at applicable legal requirements.
Your choices and legal rights
You have choices about how your personal data is handled.
We are also committed to providing you with reasonable access to your personal data and the ability to review and limit the use of such data in accordance with applicable law. Depending on your country of residence, under applicable law you may have the right to:
· request confirmation as to whether or not we are processing any of your personal data;
· request access to or copies of your personal data;
· request that we update or correct your personal data (e.g., if it is inaccurate or incomplete);
· propose restrictions on the ways in which we use your personal data (e.g., if we have no legal right to keep using it) or limit our use of your personal data (e.g., if your personal data is inaccurate or unlawfully held);
· object to our processing of your personal data;
· withdraw the consent that you have given us to process your personal data (where we process your personal data on the basis of your consent);
· request that your personal data be transferred to another organization in a structured, commonly used, and machine-readable format (to the extent applicable);
· request that we delete your personal data; and
· lodge a complaint with the data protection or privacy authority in your country of residence regarding our processing of your personal data.
If you are interested in exercising one or more of the rights described above, please contact us at email@example.com. Because we want to avoid taking action regarding your personal data at the direction of someone other than you, please note that we may request information verifying your identity before we can give effect to these rights.
Additional information for UK/EU/EEA residents
The data controller of your data is the NielsenIQ entity within the NielsenIQ group of companies that operates the Panel in your country of residence (“Data Controller”).
If you have any questions or concerns about our collection or use of your personal data, you can contact our EU Data Protection Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are unsatisfied with the way in which we have handled your personal data or any privacy query or request that you have raised to us, you also have a right to complain to the Data Protection Authority (“DPA”) in your country of residence or the country in which the issue that is the subject of your complaint occurred. To find the contact details of the appropriate DPA, please visit https://edpb.europa.eu/about-edpb/board/members_en.
Updates to this Privacy Notice
We may update and make changes to this Privacy Notice from time to time in light of changing business practices, technology, and/or legal requirements. When we make changes to this Privacy Notice, we will amend the “Effective Date” at the top of this page and such modified or amended Privacy Notice shall be effective as to you and your data as of that revision date.
The most current version of this Privacy Notice will always be available here. We encourage you to review this Privacy Notice periodically to remain informed about how we use and protect your data.
If you have any questions, comments, or concerns about this Privacy Notice or our data handling practices, please email us at email@example.com or write us at one of the addresses below.
If you reside in the UK/EU/EEA, please write us at:
Oxford Business Park South
John Smith Drive
Oxford OX4 2WB
Attn.: Legal Dept.
If you reside in any country outside of the UK/EU/EEA, please write us at:
200 W Jackson Blvd
Chicago, IL 60606
Attn.: Legal Dept.